Monday, November 19, 2018

Seminole Fans Should Keep an Eye on Class of 2019 RB DJ Williams

I typically stay out of the crowded recruiting landscape, but every now and then something comes across my desk that piques my interest. I stay out of it because I don’t understand the rankings or what goes into them.

I look at prospects in two ways: either I believe they can play Power 5 football or I don’t.

When evaluation a prospect’s film, I look for explosiveness, separation and the “it” factor.

The last prospect to pique my interest enough to write about was Jordan “Abusement Park” Young from the Atlanta metro area. DJ Williams from Sebring, FL could/should be the next prospect to shoot up the rankings like Young did. He’s currently a three-star running back. I like three stars and his film reminds me of Cam Akers coming out of high school. He’s projected as a running back in college even though he plays QB at Sebring.

What’s impressive about him?

His size for one. At 5’11 and 210 pounds he has nice size for a running back coming out of high school. Watching his Huddle highlights show him doing things that I like to see running backs do: see the hole, hit it, make one cut, and accelerate away from defenders, only running over people when he has to.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AJpd0

It’s one thing to be able to just run away from people, but he has multiple highlights showing him out-running angles. The ability to do that in Florida at the 6A level with good sized programs is very impressive. In one play he outran folks to score a 70-yard touchdown with only one shoe.

Williams is currently committed to Appalachian State, but has an offer list including Miami (11/23 visit), UGA (12/14) and Auburn, who he just visited, according to 247 Sports. I have heard there is some interest with FSU in Williams. FSU is looking at bringing the right type of running back into this class and this is a kid who I believe can climb up the rankings if the “experts” go back and evaluate what is on his film from this season.

What would make this “get” more impressive for Willie Taggart is that Williams’ head coach, LaVaar Scott, is a Miami alum.

Taggart has said “they’ve got to stop recruiting off the internet.” This is one of the guys who I feel fits Taggart’s War Daddy and Bad Ass profile. It’s easy and exciting discussing the four and five-star prospects, but, man, I love 3 stars with a chip on their shoulder.

Williams could be the Jordan Young of the 2019 class.

Article Originally Appeared on Gridiron Now: http://gridironnow.com/seminole-fans-should-keep-an-eye-on-class-of-2019-rb-dj-williams/

See more information on: Sports Den Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment